Hello Christmas! You look so beautiful, and not even a day older, this year! Won’t you please come in and stay awhile? I’m sorry I’ve been rushing around so much lately I haven’t paused to spent more quality time with you. I know you can’t stay long, and your presence always fills my heart and home with such a special feeling!
I recently noticed that over the past 4 years of blogging, I’ve written more during the months of November and December than any other time. You, Christmas, inspire me! Some of the older posts are getting attention and traffic all on their own through search engines, or chance, but many readers may not be aware of some of the fun Christmas posts from the past. So, I would like to welcome all of my dear readers to come sit a while with me and Christmas. Whatever time you have to spare, here are a few of my favorite topics of conversation:
The Music of Christmas
Oh so many posts to choose from! I can’t possibly list them all, but here are some that I am particularly fond of:
- Messiah: Handel’s Musical Prophesy - Details and trivia about this beloved oratorio. Includes music videos of the “Hallelujia” and “For Unto Us A Child Is Born”
- “Do You Have Room?” Song Sensation - Shawna Belt Edwards new composition and video that has taken hearts by storm. Sure to become a beloved classic.
- O Holy Night – Cantique de Noel - The story behind this beloved Christmas song, and a video performance
- A Nigerian Christmas – Silent Night
The Story of Christmas
- The Shepherd’s Story - “…our Father in Heaven looked down, and chose to send his Angel Messanger to the most unlikely recipients. A few humble men and women, who lived simple lives, and cared for sheep.” – Ponder the shepherds. Includes the MoSop original music video, “Where Shepherds Lately Knelt“
- Mother Mary Went The Distance - Pondering and honoring the First Lady of Christmas
- Picture A Christmas Told By Kids - Children ages 3-18 share the true story of Christmas through scripture, images, song and faith.
The Food of Christmas
- My Favorite Christmas Treat Recipes - includes photos and instructions
The Gifts of Christmas
- What Shall We Give? - Try some gift-giving tips from President Thomas S. Monson, and enjoy an inspiring song.
The Sorrow of Christmas
For many, Christmas is a poignant, even sorrowful time. Chairs are empty at the table, and hearts are aching and missing the ones we love. Here are two posts for remembrance and healing:
- A Soldiers Christmas Card - A tender story, and sweet video honoring our troops
- You Would Have Loved This – A special Christmas song of love, loss and faith – written and performed by Mormon folk-singer Cori Connors and featured as an original MoSop video.
The Joy of Christmas
- Joy To The World For Everyone – music video released in 2009 featuring Emmy-award winning composer and producer Sam Cardon and vocalists Jenny Jordan Frogley and David Osmond
The Magic of Christmas
- Christmas To A Child - A video of children expressing what Christmas means to them
The Legends of Christmas
- Longfellows Christmas - The moving story of revered American poet and educator Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, as told by actor Edward Hermann and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.
- President Monson’s Christmas Cane - Thomas S. Monson recalls his role in a Christmas pageant as a boy. Concludes with the sweet video “Rejoice and Be Merry”.
- Nativity Revealed: Jesus’ Actual Birthday and Other Fun Facts – Includes a BBC documentary with fascinating insight about the first Christmas
- A Russian Christmas Miracle - This story is a perfect example of the miraculous power of music which made a difference one cold December night in Moscow.
The Power of Christmas
Here are some stories about how we can live with the spirit of Christmas all year round.
- Seeking Christ - This post features a video entitled “Look to the Light” with real people telling their real stories of how the meaning of Christmas changed their lives.
- Christmas Every Day In India - Meet Narayanan Krishnan, a professional chef who lives every day with the true Christmas spirit
- Let There Be Peace On Earth - “Sooner, perhaps, than we realize, the fate of nations will be in the hands of today’s children.” Words of wisdom by Elder M. Russell Ballard, and a song for peace.
The Fun of Christmas
- A Christmas Sleigh Ride - Take a fun musical romp with Broadway star Brian Stokes Mitchell!
- What Christmas Is All About – as told by Linus to Charlie Brown
I hope you have enjoyed a peaceful moment sitting here with me, and the spirit of Christmas. Thank you so much for your readership, your friendship, your comments and most of all, your presence in my life that motivates me to look for the good in each day!
Merry Christmas with Love – MoSop