Yesterday [on lucky 12/12/12] a very long awaited and highly anticipated Mormon Mission “white packet” arrived in our mailbox for Daughter A from The Office of The President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints! Despite her long wait (since applying in October) and the fact that the contents of this packet will determine where she will be living, serving and working [not to mention the potential new language she will be speaking] for the next 18 months of her life, “Sister A” is showing her true character of patience and kindness by choosing to wait until this coming Saturday morning to open the packet so that her sister and I can be there to share in this special life event!
In her hands she holds a sacred calling signed by a prophet of God, chosen just for her.
Right now, the anticipation of what’s inside that white envelope is WAY MORE EXCITING THAN CHRISTMAS!!
What we know the missionary packet will contain:
1. An official letter extending a full-time mission calling to “Sister A” personally signed by the prophet of the church, President Thomas S. Monson
2. The name of the mission she is assigned to – There are currently over 335 missions in 162 nations [ SEE CURRENT MORMON MISSION LIST HERE ]
3. The date to arrive at a Missionary Training Center
4. The Missionary Training Center (MTC) to report to – Currently, the LDS church has 15 MTCs in operation
5. The Language the missionary will prepare to teach in.
6. A small bound packet of general information about the mission: including a bio and photo of the mission president & wife, the boundaries of the mission, some interesting facts, a missionary packing list and other important preparation details.
7. Passport & Visa application papers and immunization requirements, if the mission is in a foreign country.
SO….DO YOU HAVE ANY GUESSES?
Related Articles & Resources
- Sister Missionaries: The New Mormon Moment (mormonsoprano.com)
- A Day In the Life of Sister Missionaries (mormonmissionprep.com)
- Mormon Missions Have Lifelong Impact (mormonnewroom.org)
- Church Lowers Age Requirement For Mission Service – FAQs (mormonnewsroom.org)