In November 2007 I decided to create a blog. Today, MormonSoprano.com celebrates her “6th Birthday”! Like many other people new to the emerging phenomenon of “blogging”, I was shy and a little wary, so I chose to write anonymously and simply be known as the Mormon Soprano, or “MoSop” for short. Over the years I’ve been humbled to have received hundreds of thousands of page views, and I’m honored to have many regular readers and subscribers. Thank you so much! Recently, there have been many new visitors and subscribers to the site. Welcome!
I think it’s time we get to know each other better! I’ll go first.
Hi! My name is Holly.
My husband Jeff (“Mr. MoSop”) and I will celebrate our 24-year wedding anniversary December, 2013 (wow, time flies)! We are the parents of two beautiful grown daughters. I am a classically trained singer (Soprano) with a degree in Vocal Performance. My full-time day job is spent as a Administrative Program Coordinator. My second ‘full time job’ (unpaid) is working as a singer volunteer, rehearsing and performing with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. I love singing in the Choir! In any of my other ‘spare time’ I can be found doing things like blogging, writing, checking all my Social Media sites: Facebook / Twitter / Instagram / YouTube , spending time with my family, and taking lots of photos! Recently, I’ve been enjoying long-distance running with my husband (10K and Half Marathon). I have even been known to occasionally do laundry and clean my house!
Yep, I’m a typical busy woman wearing way too many hats!
I live in northern Utah, near Salt Lake City. My house sits on the side of a mountain, so I often have a raccoon peeking in the window, or some deer wandering around in my backyard. We have an Australian Red Heeler mix named Joey (who I adore). He and I love taking walks together (he is almost 15 years old, so the walks are a little slower days). Other random trivia about me:
- I love everything MUSIC. I have very eclectic, broad taste in music. My collection includes everything from ABBA, SuperTramp, Celine Dion, Opera, Jazz, Chicago, Frank Sinatra, Mozart, Broadway show tune soundtracks from the 1930s – today, John Williams, Queen, Christian Rock … yep, my diverse playlist goes on and on.
- I’m very sentimental. I cry when I’m happy, when I’m sad, or simply at random. I also laugh a lot.
- I love watching classic old-fashioned movies.
- I love eating anything with bacon, or chocolate (yes, I’ve tried combining the two).
- I have a new tree nut allergy – which makes me really sad because I love nuts, but apparently they want to kill me!
- As much as I love to eat, I don’t like cooking.
- I have an aversion to numbers – please don’t ask me to do math! I’m a solid “Right-Brain” kind of gal.
My faith, beliefs, and the doctrines of my Church influence every aspect of my life and bring me happiness, peace and purpose. I truly love being a Mormon. I enjoy sharing my faith and my passion for life whether it’s through talking, writing, art, music, photography, videos or song. Becoming a Musical Missionary and getting to sing praises every week has been an awesome new aspect of my journey.
Here is just one of my many favorites to sing:
Composed by Ola Gjeilo ~ Performed by The Mormon Tabernacle Choir
with The Orchestra at Temple Square ~ Mack Wilberg, conductor